Recipes

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My FAVORITE Banana Bread

So, we all have those go to recipes, right? Whether it be for Chocolate Chip Cookies, Baked Ziti or for that addictive Spinach Dip. Sometimes it takes forever to find that nirvana recipe, other times you make it and just KNOW and never even try another recipe. For me, I found my ultimate Banana Bread recipe early on in my married life in "The Martha Stewart Cookbook." The secret ingredient? Sour Cream. The bread comes out so moist and heavy....its darn near sinful!

Martha Stewart Banana Bread
Makes 1 Large Loaf or 4 Small Loaves

1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (I just throw in 2 bananas)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I omit these probably 90% of the time)

Preheat the oven to 350deg.  Butter a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan or several smaller pans.

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.

Sift the dry ingredients (I don't sift, just combine) together in a separate bowl, then combine with the butter mixture. Blend well. Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.  Stir well.  Stir in the nuts and pour into the prepared pan.

Bake 1 hour, until cake tester (ie. toothpick in my kitchen) comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool. (I usually let it cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes before turning it out onto the rack.)

Result: SO GOOD with a think layer of butter while still a touch warm. Sometimes I even toast it a day or two later by the slice in the toaster. Num! Other variations include adding a 1/2 cup of chopped chocolate chips.

On these cold and rainy NW winter days, things like warm and moist Banana Bread are simply the best comfort food.

Until next time, keep on Baking!

-The P-town Cousin

1 comment:

  1. wonder if yogurt and buttermilk can both be used instead of the sour cream? I had a banana bread recipe that called for one (can't even remember which one), and I used both of the others interchangeably...

    ReplyDelete